Wednesday, January 2, 2019

Byzantine chess set

The next set I made started out as a small set on a square 8 x 8 board. The pieces were made from small Dutch 10 cent coins ('dubbeltjes'); the 'white' pieces were not painted, but the 'black' pieces were painted metallic green. The board was made from squares cut from dollar bills.

After moving to the UK, when I became more and more aware of the large number of historical chess variants, I decided to change the board to one used for Byzantine Chess, a circular medieval Persian variant. A circular chess board was carved into, and then painted on, a tree stump, using silver and metallic green paint.



Like several of the older chess sets I made, this set also got lost somewhere along the way, and the two pictures above are the only evidence of it. At least, I think it did ... I'm absolutely sure I didn't take the tree stump with me in every subsequent house move, but I'm not ruling out that the pieces, small as they are, are still hiding in a little box on the attic somewhere. It was a neat little set; the two boards were rather amateurish, but the pieces themselves were fun to create. Should I indeed still have the pieces somewhere, I'll make sure to create a new board for them. Or, if the pieces are truly lost, I may well create another set from small coins in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment