Tuesday, April 9, 2019

Janggi set

My 'second wave' of creating chess sets commenced in 2013, when I restored my old Xiangqi board. While doing that, I found this box with original pieces for Janggi, Korean chess, in a drawer. I don't remember now exactly when and where I got it, maybe eBay, maybe in Chinatown in London. Wherever and whenever I got it, it definitely sat in a drawer for a long time; long enough to finally give the pieces a board to sit on.


I wanted the board to match the pieces, so quickly decided on white Perspex as the material to use. And to make it look a bit better, I felt that a sheet of semi-opaque Perspex on top, through which you could see the lines, could work really nicely.

So Perspex ordered, and lines were drawn on the white sheet of Perspex (like in Xiangqi, play is on the intersections of the lines in Korean chess).












Palaces drawn on the board, and to emphasise them, I added two 'taegeuk' to the centre of the palaces.












Semi-opaque sheet of Perspex glued top of it, and the lines come through clear enough to play on.


So all that remains is to add the pieces!




Even though it's certainly not the most elaborate board I ever made, its simplicity and how well it matches the pieces make me rather pleased with this attempt.

No comments:

Post a Comment