Thursday, October 17, 2019

Middle Eastern set


Saw this heavy stone set on eBay, in very good condition. There was no information as to its origins, but I liked the design of the pieces, so I took a punt and won the bidding. After posting the picture on a few chess collectors groups on Facebook, it was suggested that the set might be Middle Eastern in origin. One poster suggested possibly Indian, though that was refuted by another poster.

The set came without a board, and not long after getting it, I got this nice marquetry board. Lots of little pieces of wood!


As before, I posted the picture in a few chess collectors groups, and the suggestion was Syrian or Turkish.

So I had a likely Middle Eastern set, and a board probably from the same general region .... why not put them together?


Even though the board and set do not belong together by design, I do feel they really fit together nicely.


Of course, the set can be used to play FIDE chess. But given it's likely origin, I might just as well consider it a set for playing the predecessor of FIDE chess: Shatranj. The pieces are the same in both variants; it's just the moves of several pieces (especially the firz and alfil, the ancestors of the modern queen and bishop, respectively) that are different.




2 comments: