Thursday, October 15, 2020

Bakelite St George set

If you're familiar with xiangqi, you'll know that it is played with flat discs bearing the pieces' Chinese characters, rather than with three-dimensional figurine pieces as is the case for FIDE chess.

And if you're playing xiangqi, you'll probably agree with me it feels strange to be playing the game with three-dimensional figurine pieces. My collection does include two such xiangqi sets: one I bought, having terracotta army type pieces, and one I made myself, basically having Staunton type pieces

But what about the opposite? What about a set for FIDE chess having flat discs with symbols as pieces? Such sets definitely exist, and one which is listed on eBay quite regularly is a 'St George' set from the 1930s, with the discs made from bakelite.


The set I got didn't come with a board, but it looks fine on a wooden board with carved edges I had lying around.


The 'white' pieces are brown with some white highlighting, whereas the 'black' pieces are black with red highlighting.


Seeing a FIDE chess set with flat discs feels just as strange as seeing a xiangqi set with three-dimensional pieces ...

No comments:

Post a Comment