Friday, December 16, 2022

Mini xiangqi set

Mini xiangqi is a smaller version of xiangqi, invented by Shigenobu Kusumoto in 1973 or 1974. Compared to xiangqi itself, it has no river, no elephants, and no guards. It does still have a palace,  which limits the movement of the king, as it does in xiangqi itself. 

The initial array of the pieces in mini xiangqi is like this:

Why do I bring up this smaller xiangqi variant? Well, some time ago, I got my hands on a wooden xiangqi set, with the pieces similar to, but smaller than those of my varnished set.


Rather than use the paper board provided with the set, or make a board myself, I thought it would be fun to use it for mini xiangqi (simply leave out the elephants and guards) and create a board for that. 

That board consisted of a piece of thin plywood, on which I drew the initial lines.


On the final board, those lines would be made from lollypop sticks ...


... cut to size and glued to the board, which had the edges and palaces covered by a thin layer of pine wood stain.


The board then got two coats of clear glossy varnish.

All that's missing now is the pieces; note the absence of elephants and guards.




I think board and pieces work well together.



No comments:

Post a Comment