Sunday, May 5, 2019

Star Trek Tridimensional set

If you're interested in chess variants, you will probably have heard of Tridimensional chess as repeatedly portrayed in the Star Trek series. Complete sets go on eBay for ridiculous amounts, but I did get my hands on a board with very minor damage for a reasonable price.


No pieces, though, but shortly after I got the board, I saw a listing on eBay of a small chess set with 'classical' style metal pieces, so I got that one, with the aim of using those pieces on the Star Trek board.


And I think it actually looks pretty good, better in my opinion than the original rather stylised pieces. There is something inherently pleasing in combining a futuristic chess board with pieces in a classical style (so there's my creative input into this one!).



We tried to get a feel for the game by replaying a few complete recorded games. Not only do you have to start thinking in three dimensions, you also have the movable 'attack boards' to take into account. 


The result of that exercise? A pretty bad headache ...

Full respect, Mr Spock!

No comments:

Post a Comment