Tuesday, April 6, 2021

Bone 'barleycorn' set

I've always felt that there was a bit of a gap in my small collection of vintage chess sets: a late 19th century bone 'barleycorn' set. But there's one problem with that ... They're listed on eBay regularly, but always go for prices I just can't justify .... Until I came across one listing which just said 'chess set in old box', without any mention that it was a bone set. The pictures clearly showed it to be a bone 'barleycorn' set. Very likely it flew under the radar of people specifically looking for bone chess sets, but their loss is my gain, and I got it for way less than what these sets normally go for.

The set was complete, and without any major damage to any of the pieces (apart from the wear and tear you'd expect from a set of that age). So here's my vintage bone 'barleycorn' set on a modern chess board!



I thought I'd also put it on the much more elaborate board that came with my Egyptian set, and it doesn't look bad on that board either.




So what do you think? Does it look better on the modern wooden board or on the more elaborate mother-of-pearl board?

Either way, I'm very pleased I now have a bone 'barleycorn' set in my collection. From doing a bit of research on the internet, I reckon this set may well be over a century old ...

No comments:

Post a Comment