Tuesday, September 22, 2020

Dr Who set

I grew up with Doctor Who as a kid in the 1970s. Given that, Tom Baker will always be the Doctor for me. Nevertheless, I was really pleased the series was resurrected in 2005. 

When I saw this Doctor Who chess set on eBay, it was clear it had to be part of my collection!


The board is the usual simple cardboard board, and the pieces contain pictures of a range of characters from the recent series in a rather unusual way. The box refers to them being 'animated'; I'll come back to that ...


On the 'baddies' side (silver-grey tops), the pieces include Cybermen, a Weeping Angel as queen, and a Dalek as king.



The Doctor's side (blue tops) includes the Tardis and River Song, and has Amy Pond as queen and the Doctor (obviously) as king.



So what about the pieces being 'animated'? They have what's called 'lenticular animation', which means that the picture appears to move and change as you see it from different angles. 



I can't capture this effect in a few pictures; sorry!

No comments:

Post a Comment