Thursday, May 5, 2022

Nigerian thorn carving set

I regularly post pictures of made or acquired chess sets, often with links to this blog, on my Facebook page. A friend of mine from the kite-flying community must have seen those, because he contacted me to ask if I was interested in a wee chess set, hand-made by someone in Nigeria. He wasn't using it, it was just collecting dust, so ...

Obviously I said "yes"!


The board is made of wood, and the pieces are carved from the thorns of a particular tree:


Thorn carving is a traditional Nigerian art form, and the material the thorns are made of is soft enough to lend itself to being carved. 


Two colours of thorn material, light brown and dark brown are used for the pieces.


I really should mention the name of the guy who made the set (or at least the name that was on the back of the board): Lawrence Ajibula.

No comments:

Post a Comment