Monday, April 6, 2020

'The Rose Chess' set

The Rose Chess sets feature flat Staunton-style pieces made from lead and were produced in the early 1940s. They are commonly listed on eBay, so it's pretty easy to get your hands on a set for not very much.


All listings I've seen are for a box with the pieces. Allegedly, there was also a board which seemed to allow for the pieces to be secured by 'turning'; I've never seen even a picture of such a board. But I did have an old and pretty battered thick cardboard board .....


..... and I feel it fits the pieces quite well.


The set I got is in pretty good nick; some of the paint has flaked off, but I've never seen a listing with pieces in perfect condition, and I've certainly seen pieces in worse condition.



Nice addition to the 'vintage' part of my collection!

No comments:

Post a Comment