Friday, December 6, 2019

Royal Beasts set

The Royal Beasts, aka Queen's Beasts, are a series of heraldic statues created for the queen's coronation in 1953. I got a set of Royal Beasts chess pieces as a birthday present, from the same Etsy shop as I got my Lewis chess pieces from.












This is the king; they are quite big pieces!


My idea for a board for this Royal Beasts chess set was a permanent board in the garden, so I got myself a large stone tile plus light and dark mosaic stone tiles.



A large flower pot was weighted down with sand, and placed in a nice corner of the garden, to act as a base for the board.












Stone mosaic tiles were then fixed to the large stone tile.


Board is ready to receive the pieces!













I think it looks really good, with the stone board nicely matching the pieces. I am not planning to keep the pieces out in the garden all the time, but occasionally they'll be allowed out to play. If I can take any interesting photos of the pieces 'in the wild', I'll create another blog post. I've already seen a cat contemplating its opening move.


Maybe a pigeon will want to come and play as well? Watch this space!


No comments:

Post a Comment